Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  Relics of the Founders

zooty
Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
I have been thinking alot lately about the relics of the Founders and what the Ravenclaw relic might be.

Gryffindor- The sword. This makes sense, courage and all that.

Slytherin- The locket. What does a locket do? It hides or conceals what is inside of it. Very cunning.

Hufflepuff- The cup. I had to do some searching on the Internet on cup symbols. One of them is unity, the vessel holds different liquids and combines them. That works well with the Sorting Hat remark, "I'll teach the lot and treat them just the same."

So what would be the symbol for the Ravenclaw trait of intelligence? I would guess a book. A magic book. Throughout the series I can only think of one important magic book, the one that sits in the office of the Headmaster. The book where all the names of magical children are written.

Any other thoughts?

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:40 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Dec 2004 Posts: 12 Location: A state of delusion (Florida)
While several people have suggested a wand as the Ravenclaw relic, I like the idea of a book. We know next to nothing about the listing book, or who gets to see it, so it could work. That particular book, though, likely belongs to all the houses. Some other book perhaps. Something special to Ravenclaw.

As for the Slytherin relic. both the locket and the ring fit the role.

~Wolf

Pace
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
This might be totally wrong but I just noticed: Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs insignias are in fact elementals from the Tarot (my deck, at least).

There's the sword, the cup, the Slytherin Locket might fill the place of the coins(?) which leaves the staff/wand for Ravenclaw. Something wooden in any case...

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:44 am Reply with quote
Head Moderator Joined: 04 Jan 2005 Posts: 116
The sword isn't the only relic of Gryffindor's at Hogwarts.

Pace
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
True. The Sorting Hat is also a relic of Gryffindor's, but I don't think that Voldemort would have had a chance to turn it into a horcrux. Same goes for Gryffindor's sword. It appeared for the first time in CoS when Harry pulled it out of the hat and only since then was it on display in the headmaster's office. Makes you wonder, of course, what other nifty stuff is hidden in that hat...

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I just read an interesting thread on usenet which pulled together some interesting points

Molley Weasley's maiden name is Prewett
The (real-life) Prewett coat of arms has a raven on it, and the motto is "Deus pascet corvos" God feeds the ravens. Are the Prewetts decended from Rowena Ravenclaw?

Great Aunt muriel has this goblin-made tiara.

There is also a rusty tiara in the room of requirement, Harry used it to mark the spot he hid his (Snape's) potions book.

A followup suggested a connection between the tiaras - possibly Riddle stole Muriel's, made it into a horcrux, and hid it in the RoR.

Rowena Ravenclaw was responsible for the shifting floorplan of Hogwarts, it would make sense if she came up with the RoR too.

My own thoughts:

A tiara sits on the head, the seat of intelligence. It makes perfect sense for a tiara to be associated with Rowena Ravenclaw. It is possible, but I'm skeptical, that Jo happened to throw in two tiaras for no good reason. They may be one and the same (stolen tiara theory) but I think one of them is a red herring.

I can imagine Harry (or more likely Hermione) connecting the dots at the wedding and thinking the tiara is the horcrux. After it turns out it's not (possibly a long while after,) Harry remembers the other tiara in the RoR.

What do you guys think?