Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  The Library  ~  The Fate of Ashwinder and Occlumency

Verity Brown
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:42 am Reply with quote
What does all this mean for the future of Ashwinder and Occlumency?

First, there's the issue of: what can now be written in either of those areas? The possible takes on Snape-is-still-good seem fairly limited now. And since a good portion of the potential audience is now either uninterested or actively hostile to that premise.... Maybe some people will enjoy writing Snape-is-evil stories, but it seems like that would become palling after a while. So what, that is worthwhile, can now be written about Snape?

Second: So far, unless I've been dreadfully unobservant, I haven't noticed any S-H admins coming in on the Snape-is-still-good side of the debate. Is HBP going to become an excuse to lose these two areas altogether?

Verity

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:45 am Reply with quote
Well the good news is there's got to be more hope for them than say if Snape had died. Thank God.

I think that the forums aren't always a good representation though, because not everyone who reads or writes fics posts here, and plus, it's still possible that not everyone is done reading. (Shame on them)

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:46 am Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Dec 2004 Posts: 12 Location: A state of delusion (Florida)
Why can't we just view this as a challange to write more creative fics that follow canon but still tell the story that we want told? I see this as simply adding fuel to the 'Snape's redmption' fire, not putting it out.

~Wolf

Pace
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:49 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't hang 'good-Snape' yet, Verity. There is still the possibility of darker stories (think: The Unfortunates) and the chance to write post-war fics. I agree that we no longer have the chance to set up Snape and Hermione, for instance, via meddling by Dumbledore or detentions (again: how often can you write the detention scenario and make it believable? also: how often can you read it?), but there are still other twists that can be explored.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
Moderator Joined: 06 Dec 2004 Posts: 46
Ashwinder and Occlumency will continue to thrive, just as they have before, and just as other long-sunken ships have managed to continue. The SH admins aren't concerned, and a few of us have already started post-HBP Snape-based fictions.

Also, why on earth would we use this as an 'excuse' to get rid of the two most popular archives, in which most of the admins post stories themselves? No way.

At any rate, just because we're not bandwagon-jumping on these boards doesn't mean that we don't have very firm beliefs. Last night, I managed to convince my husband that Snape isn't lost by pointing out numerous indications in the book and directing him to several fan-essays. Do I think he's good? Nah. Do I hope so, and is there evidence to suggest he is? Sure.

I wait with anticipation.
Delirium
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
I look on this as a challenge to deepen my writing as far as SS/HG goes. In any event, it will sure as hell be nice to see fics outside of detention fics and meddling twinking Dumbledore fics (no offense to those already written, some of them are amongst my favorites). And I cannot see how this could do anything but BOLSTER Occlumency. I mean, think of all the redemption fics and the darkfics possible now? I have some great ideas and have started on some outlines.
Fraggle Grrrrrrl
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...first time posting in this site...Anyhow...

I think that with the advent of the new book, it becomes blatantly clear that once again, Snape is thrust into the world of the unknown. Is he good? Is he bad? Is it possible that acting on DD's orders, he has forced himself deeper into the role of spy than he ever intended to be?

My personal opinion, being an avid fan of ashwinder, though I have yet to post a story, is that this is merely a challenge to those who love the snarky Snape. This gives more levels to his character, more information with which to work.

I hope, in fact I pray, as a fan of both JK's genious and the genious of all of you who write in fandom, that this spurs another series of great stories, both dark and light. I hope that this causes all of the authors I have seen here to rise to the occasion, taking the new info given by JK, and make wonderous tales. I hope, in fact I pray, that this begins a new spawn of fiction, that these sites will again be filled with the genious I have seen before, of tales so woven with cannon and imagination that I feel as though JK has in fact diguised herself.

HBP is so fraught with both ambiguity and hard fact that there are a number of alternate reasons that Snape did what he did. In fact, I would hazard a guess that at this point, anything is possible...

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
I really hope that Ashwinder won't die and that people will continue to post their wonderful stories there! There are also quite a few great stories out there that haven't been finished and I sure don't mind them not being in canon. To all those authors out there, keep up your great work! I'll be sure to read and review.

dryade
Two Methyloctane
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't think either off these sites have anything to worry about. If anything, HBP just gives authors more posssibilities and more situations to write about. Now we know even more about Snape, and so although we can't comment on his past, we can comment more on his childhood, etc. I mean, what if the Prince's were a very rich, pureblood family, but Eileen was sort of a Neville (thinking he was a Squib) and was disowned, running off to the muggle world after leaving Hogwarts, returning to the magical world after meeting Tobias and realizing she was a witch and still more powerful than a Muggle.

No, I think there are even more possibilities for fanfiction now.
Melvacaea
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the ones that say they aren't going to disappear. And I quote Methyloctane: "It has given authors more situations to write about."

Currently, I'm neck deep in research for a brand-new fanfiction, but I don't think I'll do it until the seventh book comes out. So I'll stick to my strengths and write AU stories that are post-OotP and angsty ficlets post-HBP. Just because Snape APPEARS to be evil doesn't mean that the fanfiction hounds are going to disappear.

I wouldn't know about Ashwinder: I read and review, I DON'T write. (Ask Amethyst).

But as for Occlumency, there are so many possibilities and I don't think that we are ALL blind to them. In fact, if anything, I think that somewhere in every one of our minds, we have a story working there.

I know I do.

Severus' mind is his own. We can only speculate.
sammyjo
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I do not think Ashwinder will die. Hermione is smart, right? She will obviously come to the conclusion what Snape was up to (Possible story). Or maybe Snape knows she is the logical one and seek her out to pass on his information to the Order (another story).

There are many possibilities here and those were the first two to pop into my head in the last 5 minutes. So image if you will... what accomplished fanfic writers could come up with.
Razzberry
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I think Occlumency will be just fine, maybe even getting a boon from this. After all, everyone seems very eager to redeem Snape or else to thoroughly condemn him, and unless you're shipping him with Hermione, Occlumency is the place to do both.

The SSHG shippers seem to be banding together quite nicely, so I'm not concerned about Ashwinder going down. It's going to take more than a little 'canon' fire to sink a ship that big.
Sophi
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Jul 2005 Posts: 7 Location: North Carolina (*shudder* Not usd to life below the Mason-Dixon yet...)
I think us SSHG people will be okay - I think we can play it as it was Dumbledore's will, he'll whip out a pensieve to play the memory, maybe the portrait of Dumbledore will talk, blah blah.

Of course, I would love to email JK to bitch 'cause I am completely dissatisfied with the fact SNAPE had to kill Dumbledore. I always trusted him.. this upsets me.

Oh oh, edit here... could Snape have been Imperiused? Ooh, I see a good idea formulating here, ;P
Two Methyloctane
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the Imperius thing is terribly plausible, simply because as a spy, it would compromise his position. I think Snape, of all people, knows how to throw the curse.

It would make a good premise for a story, though!

sevfank
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
sammyjo wrote:
I do not think Ashwinder will die. Hermione is smart, right? She will obviously come to the conclusion what Snape was up to (Possible story). Or maybe Snape knows she is the logical one and seek her out to pass on his information to the Order (another story).

Well, those sure sound like good story possibilities. I will still read sshg but I am not sure that it will be my fave ship anymore. Let's face it - it was hard enough thinking of a 17/18 year old with a 40 year old with an evil past as it was. It will be very challenging to put that 17/18 year old with a 40 year old who "seems overwhelmingly" evil at the current time.

Sophi wrote:
Oh oh, edit here... could Snape have been Imperiused? Ooh, I see a good idea formulating here, ;P

I did think that too late late late last night but I remember all of the Lucius fanfic out there (some very good) and I just can't see it happening. I do however think that he had to do it or die from the unbreakable vow. I also think DD knew and expected it.