Sycophant Hex Forum Index

<  Seekers  ~  Seeking beta reader for SS/HG SS-centric fic

silencio_sempra
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
I seek a beta reader for a novel-length Snape/Hermione teacher/student fic. This is my first (and probably last) fanfic. If you’re interested, please contact me at: silenciosempra@gmail.com

Title: Apology
Rating: W

It is most correctly a Snape-centric, angst/drama, first-person limited POV, novel-length fic, whose subject is SS/HG. It is, by design,‘english-majory’ as well, and seeks to incorporate larger themes than strictly romance. In fact it is as equally inspired by Nabokov (yes, I know I’m not the first) as by JKR.

It is explicitly student/teacher. It is not smutty but does reference many sexual acts and details, including non-consensual, mild BDSM, underage sex. Like many Snape fics, it explores ethical boundaries, mostly in theory. There is, however, NO rape or underage sex, or BDSM for that matter, that actually takes place. There is occasional bad language.

Because this fic spans Hermione’s fifth, sixth years, and seventh book, it probably falls into the category of ‘Very Difficult’ to reconcile as far as timelines and Canon consistency are concerned. I definitely need someone who knows their Potter and doesn’t mind going back to it to try to fit a story in.

I would very much appreciate tips on plot consistency and general readability as well. I’d like someone versed in grammar -- It’s a first-person retrospective, which means there are many shifts in tense, what ifs, flashbacks, memories, thought sequences, and liberal use of the subjunctive. There are sections without any dialogue. Consider it a challenge to help make this grammar remotely intelligible/interesting. Also please help me excise any trite/overdone/takes-itself-too-seriously plot/dialogue/language devices!

It is currently about 50,000 words long, by Word doc standards. The beginning and ending are the most done, and the middle keeps getting rearranged, added to, etc. I don’t want it to be epic, but I am shooting for novel-length.

Also needs Brit-picking!!

I’m not quite as high-maintenance as this all sounds! I hope someone is interested -- please contact me at: silenciosempra@gmail.com